Blonde Janet

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Well, it seems that Jeremy Kyle was too compulsive to miss, and there was a new series of Homes under the Hammer on, so I took to my sofa to enjoy some telly under the cunning disguise of pleurisy.

Sorry it's been so long since I've been on my blog - and it all started so well too...

Anyway, while I was ill I went on a trip to Sellafield (is there a connection I hear you ask - no, it was arranged ages before). I was with over 30 other clergy people and the powers that be clearly thought we were "important leaders in our communities" and provided us with a tasty if not suspicously brightly coloured lunch, After a coach tour and an hour's heated debate between clergy (lots of hot air and bad sandals) and the directors of communications of nuclear-thingies (more hot air and pin-stripe). I found myself asking, do I really know anything at all about nuclear power? Is it really as evil as everyone thinks? And why, after spending two hours at the centre did I know no more about nuclear power than I did before I went there?

Perhaps I was just being blonde...

4 Comments:

  • At 11:44 PM, Blogger Fat Roland said…

    I have distant family who live next to the plant and several people they know have leukemia. You can never prove a link, but it just seems like a remarkable co-incidence.

    I went to Sellafield when I was a kid, and all you get is PR fluff. I remember coming away with exactly the same feeling as you did.

    You know that big golf ball thing? Inside that, they make mushy peas. True fact.

     
  • At 2:00 AM, Blogger Rob (the ergonomist). said…

    Sadly, the big golf ball thing is being decommissioned and removed. This could spell the end for the traditional Cumbrian mushy pea.

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger Janet S said…

    Well, if nuclear decommissioning means the end to mushy peas I'm all for it (nasty, evil, sludgy stuff).

    Thanks Eyan. I now know that I will be forever anti-nuclear, simply because it promises an end to the experience of having to sit and watch people eat mushy peas. Hallelujah!

     
  • At 7:11 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Someone should do a global survey of whether people like mushy peas and ban them if they get 75% disapproval.

    Illiberal? Me?

    There's a whole floor on nuclear power at the manchester museum of science and industry if you're interested.

    Glad to have you back!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home